Friday 7 September, 2007

"Graze"-ing is acquired taste

After all, we aren't cows! Lame jokes apart, Graze is the new address in Bangalore for "dining on the lighter side of European cuisine".

We are somewhat resentful of the place, because it replaced our favorite bar in town - Jockey Club in Taj Residency. Graze is a minimalist and smaller place - not as spacious and plush like good old Jockey Club. When we got there, it was full - a considerable number of them were foreigners - maybe folks staying at the hotel.

Anyway, we were shown in and asked to occupy an extremely cramped table. By then, the ever resourceful Y found us seating at the dining bar facing the bustling open kitchen.

We were the only people at the bar counter. That pretty much set us up for the evening and we had a great time looking at the chef and his staff create some extremely good looking dishes.

As for eating them, well - that’s a different story. For me at least. Y is very adventurous and is open to trying all foods.

Basically this meant that I couldn't enjoy the foie gras and some shell fish based appetizers at all. We drank a couple of imported beers. Asahi was one of them - very light.

The main course was better. I safely ordered roast spring chicken that was done a tad too dry. Y had some excellent lamb chops. The dessert - more than anything was stunningly pretty. I had a chocolate mud cake with 'crème Anglais' and I can't remember what Y had.

The service was brisk and non-intrusive.

Through out, we had a great time watching the kitchen staff at work. Especially the 'make up man' - I think called the Expediter or Announcer, who finished the dishes. He was a delight to watch - working away diligently at the most sparkling and spotless table of the kitchen.

When we were done eating, we had the Chef saunter across to where we were sitting asking us how we liked the meal. I told him about how the chicken was dry and he said, "Yes madam, I too like my chicken juicy and tender but our Indian guests keep asking for it to be sent back to be over done. Also because of my fear about Chikungunya, bird flu etc, I have instructed for the chicken to be well done. Next time you come by, I will take care to have it made to your liking".

!! Fears of Chikungunya after a Rs 4500/- meal and veiled racist comments about Indian dining preferences!

The conversation actually went on to the foie gras and the chef remarked about what an exotic delicacy it is, how it is his personal favorite and that I didn’t have "the tongue for it" - meaning taste for overfed goose liver.

You know, I wish waiters and chefs didn't indulge in small talk - at least with me!

Well, Graze is a smart looking place and expensive. The service and ambience has the usual quality of a star hotel.

As for the taste, I would like to reserve my judgment. I didn't enjoy the meal. Even Y gave it thumbs down.

Who knows? Like the chef said, may be I don't have 'the tongue' for it. Or maybe, we just miss our good old Jockey Club - a place where many an evening was deliriously well spent.

Then again, we eat out a lot and maybe we are right.

No comments: